Tuesday, August 3, 2010

On the first days of August


... the sight of an empty beach,
the sand and pavement soaked from fine rain,
the weak light of a defeated sun,
the sound of muffled waves,
are all I feel.

Last night I resumed reading "My Father's Journal" by Jiro Taniguchi. His graphic novels never fail to inflict uneasiness and amazement all at once. When I reached the final pages and read the final words, I felt like crying softly, as memories and thoughts of my family filled my head. It wasn't a sad feeling, I must add. But the book truly hit a nerve. Those words still resonate with me today as I walk by the shoreline:
"When I think of it... It's not you who's coming back to town. It's the town that comes back into your heart one day"

::

En los primeros días de agosto...
la visión de la playa vacía,
la arena y el suelo empapados de fina lluvia,
la débilucha luz del sol derrotado,
el sonido apagado de las olas,
es todo lo que siento.

Ayer por la noche acabé de leer "El almanaque de mi padre" de Jiro Taniguchi. Sus novelas gráficas no fallan a la hora de dejarme asombrada y descorazonada de un sólo golpe. Cuando llegué a la última página y leí las últimas palabras, me apetecía dejar escapar las lágrimas, mientras que recuerdos y pensamientos sobre mi familia llenaban mi cabeza. Debo decir que no era un sentimiento triste, pero el libro me dejó sentimientos a flor de piel.
Y esas palabras aún resuenan hoy cuando camino al lado del mar:
"Ahora pienso que... no es uno el que vuelve al pueblo. Es el pueblo el que un día vuelve al corazón de uno"


Today's music:
Nick Drake

Today's links:
Allison Mellberg-Taylor
Little Paper Planes

8 comments:

Vir said...

Yo leí hace poco Barrio Lejano, también de Jiro Taniguchi, y me dejó una sensación bastante parecida.

We Blog Artists said...

What a wonderful start to the Month of August...
I seem to have missed quite a few posts!
Did you see any whales on your trip on the boat? GREAT pics by the way...and I LOVE LOVE your heroes picture...beautiful truly.
I have been busy finishing a couple of portraits in Pastel...I can't believe how I can neglect a particular medium for SO long...
HUGS and have a glorious day.
Char.x

mansuetude said...

beautiful photos as Always.

interesting book. hope u are well, your daughters seem to have grown a lot since i visited.

Unknown said...

That winter beach in middle of summer. Zarautz. Love the waves sound with no one near.
Enjoy!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grenlon said...

Mmm, Zarautz, qué gusto esos momentos en que la playa está vacía e ideal para pasear. Estuvimos un fin de semana en julio, no sé si volveremos en agosto.

prima said...

Qué playa tan familiar ... Me trae buenísimos recuerdos !
Pensemos que algún día todo se arreglará . Buen verano !

Esti said...

prima, aquí te esperamos. Ya todo está arreglado.